Cultivating identity through motherhood

I've been doing a creatives workshop for the past few weeks. We're actually on week 7 now. This workshop is specifically for mothers and the experience has been interesting, to say the least. I'm learning about myself as a mother, my identity, how to carve time for both my writings and for my kids and my sanity.....I've been to a few creative groups and almost all the ones I've been to, there isn't a young writer mama in the mix. Or at least a mama with littles. These groups usually have older, retired creatives who towards the later seasons of their lives, picking up their dream/hobby/passion. They don't have to worry about feeding toddlers and doing homework with kindergarteners. The pressure of keeping house tidy and getting everyone bathed and tucked in, are gone. My season of writing has coincided with the early years of motherhood. While I wrote Love, Defined in 2003/04, it wasn't until 2015 that it was published.....when my daughter was 3.

As I'm slowly trying to piece together the purpose of this blog, and what I'd like to blog about. This month, I'm specifically going to focus on Identity and Motherhood. Every Monday, I'll share my thoughts on our lesson this week and how our Saturday "motherhood" chat went. I'll be calling this my "motherhood monday" series.

In May, however, my focus will go back to Preeclampsia and Maternal Mental health. Because that's become such a huge part of my identity...even if I didn't want those things. And May also happens to be both Preeclampsia Awareness month and Maternal Mental Health Awareness month.

So there's that. Please stay tuned while I sort this out!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preeclampsia Awareness Month 2018

Just Leila

creator and a prisoner