reality bites

well, i wouldn't go as far as saying that. my reality has been filled with plenty of blessings. i am a lucky girl. i have had my shares of downs and tears like most, but overall, i'd say i'm lucky. truly.

last night, i spent the whole day cooking a feast. i had my turkey, corn casserole, buffalo chicken dip, green beans, mexican rice and carne guisada. all ready for my guests (sisters in law). i've cooked for them before, so this was nothing new. but it would be our first christmas together without our parents. my parents were having their annual christmas party while theirs was on their way to mexico for my mother in law's parents' 60th wedding anniversary. the sisters would fly out on tuesday.

it was nice and quiet. i enjoyed cooking and cleaning. we opened presents and talked about what Ellie would be like, who she'd look like the most.

this morning, i drove to my hometown and visited with my parents. my dad saw my growing belly and touched it trying to coax her to move for her lolo (grandfather in tagalog). my sister and i drove to a family friend's house for lunch and visited with two sisters and a boy whom we've known for most of our american life.....which is 20 years now.

it was strange and kinda nice. we talked about house payments, our jobs, mortgage, the costs of having a baby.....and yet, it seemed like yesterday, we five were out running around and playing hide-and-go-seek.

they say time flies especially when you have a child. my childhood seemed to be gone in the blink of an eye.

and yet, i'm incredibly humbled and blessed that for all of 20 years (give or take a missed year or two) i have had all my christmases with these lovely people. we've shared major holidays together and shared missed milestones with each other.

i hope Ellie grows up with a batch of kids that in 20 or 30 years, she can still sit down and talk about yesteryears and fears of tomorrows without fear of judgement. this is what homecoming feels like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

early symptoms and plausible deniability

Preeclampsia Awareness Month 2018

Just Leila